I started a brand new series here on Miss Makeup Magpie, where I’ll be demystifying beauty ingredients to see if they are actually beneficial ingredients to have in our beauty products and homes or do the negatives outweigh the positives? Today I’m focusing on the benefits of coconut oil.
Coconut oil is seemingly in everything beauty related from April til September. Brands love to promote the summer vibes and there are so many coconut scented products on the market. With hair products, body washes, lotions, makeup and more.
Coconut is a marmite scent. You either love it and want coconut in everything or you’re the complete opposite and it’s a deal breaker for you, and prevents you from buying coconut scented products. But what is coconut oil?!
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil, or copra oil, is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It has various applications. Because of its high saturated fat content, it is slow to oxidize and, thus, resistant to rancidification, lasting up to six months at 24 °C without spoiling. Wikipedia
The Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut is widely popular for its versatility and many different benefits. It can be used in the kitchen, but it also has many health benefits too. You can purchase organic raw coconut oil which is in a solid form, that liquifies as soon as it’s warmed up or you can buy it in a runny oil consistency when it’s blended with another oil.
There are some out there claims that I can’t quantify either way, but coconut oil is said to support weight loss and also slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
There are many different benefits of using coconut oil, here are just a small selection;
- Reducing stress – virgin coconut oil may have antioxidant properties, and may be useful in the treatment of some kinds of depression.
- Coconut oil can penetrate the scalp a lot better than many mineral oils, so it’s a popular choice for conditioning the hair.
- Coconut oil can improve the skin’s protective barrier functions.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Active in fighting candida.
- Prevents liver disease.
- Reduces asthmatic symptoms
- Protecting the skin against UV rays.
- Increase the body’s metabolism.
- Good for high heat frying when cooking.
- Relieve skin irritations.
- Relieve eczema.
- Improve the function of the brain.
- Works well as a facial moisturiser
- Help fight infections
- Increase your ‘good’ cholesterol
- Make sugar free dark chocolate
- Protect the hair from potential damage
- Dental benefits – oil pulling involves swishing an oil around the oral cavity, similarly to the modern mouthwash. Studies have found coconut oil pulling to protect against cavities, improve gingivitis, and influence the oral bacterial balance.
If you struggle with wax build up in the ears, coconut oil or olive oil can help with keeping the wax softened, and effectively remove any wax build up and make you a lot more comfortable.
The Negatives of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains over 80% saturated fat, and many nutritionists believe coconut oil is unhealthy. Investing too much coconut oil can cause vomiting, and there are other potential symptoms like headache, dizziness, fatigue, swollen glands, joint or muscle pain, stomach upset, chills, hives or rashes, or other adverse skin conditions.
There are so many different benefits of Coconut Oil and ways it can be used, and there appears to be many more positives than negatives when it comes to using coconut oil. I hope you found this post on the benefits of coconut oil was helpful.
Hi! My name is Gemma, and welcome to Miss Makeup Magpie. I share helpful articles to help you with beauty tips, tricks and tutorials.